Hospice Care at Home
Hospice care provides emotional, physical and spiritual support and services for patients and family and their friends as patients approach the end of life.
Hospice care is designed to meet the special needs of terminally ill patients and their families. Studies show that when a patient is asked what kind of care they want at the end of life, most say they would prefer to spend their last days at home, free of pain, and supported by caring professionals.
Dignity and Respect
We treat patients and their families with dignity, respect, and support.
Our highly qualified team works with the patient and their family to assist them during this emotional time.
Patients and their families experience the greatest benefits of hospice care when it is accessed early, but it can be accessed at any time if the prognosis of death is six months or less. Care can continue past six months with certification from a physician. Choosing hospice supports quality end-of-life with family and friends.
When to Consider Hospice
You may want to discuss hospice care with your physician if your loved one is experiencing any of the following:
- progressive declining health, despite treatment
- increased or uncontrollable pain
- frequent hospitalizations
- repeat or multiple infections
- progressive or profound weakness and fatigue
- shortness of breath with or without oxygen
- decreased ability to perform regular activities of daily living
- alterations in mental status
- patient’s desire to stop aggressive treatments
Services are provided wherever the patients reside—home, nursing home, assisted living. We offer complete service, resources, and support including:
- 24-hour nursing availability
- medical and nursing care
- hospice certified home health aides
- inpatient care in hospital and extended care facilities
- medical social services
- pain management
- symptom management
- counseling-pastoral support
- respite care utilizing trained volunteers
- medications, medical supplies, and home medical equipment
- physical, speech, occupational therapies
- respiratory care services
- laboratory services
- support groups for children and adults
- complementary therapies, such as massage and therapeutic music
Our full-service care makes each moment as comfortable and meaningful as possible for our patients. We provide services for all patients who need hospice care and some common diseases and conditions include cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, stroke, lung disease, renal disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, or a general decline/failure to thrive.
Eligibility and Insurance
To qualify for hospice, the patient should no longer be responding to curative treatment options and their prognosis must be for six months or less if the disease continues its normal course.
We respect the patient’s decisions. The patient can permanently or temporarily discontinue hospice care at any time.
We do not turn away any patient due to their insurance coverage. We will provide care for those who are under-insured or uninsured.
Our team is just a call away at 781-338-7800. We are available 24 hours a day, for support, consultation, and home visits when needed.
Reimbursement for hospice care comes from Medicare, Medicaid, health maintenance organizations, and other private insurance plans. In Massachusetts, all commercial insurers are required to provide a hospice benefit. We will determine what the hospice benefit is for the patient with their insurance plan. It’s helpful to have the following information about the patient available:
- full name
- home address
- telephone number
- date of birth
- social security number
- health insurance information
- referring or ordering physician name and phone number
- services requested
- emergency contact
We are available to assist you. For more information including consultations and home visits, please contact us at 781-338-7800.
We are a member of Home Health Foundation, along with Merrimack Valley Hospice, Circle Home, Home Health VNA of NH, York Hospital Hospice, High Pointe House and Commonwealth Nursing Services.