February is Heart Health Month, a month that encourages everyone to evaluate what they can do to improve their heart health.
Nutrition is an important part of your heart and total health. To promote heart health our registered dietitians hand-selected these heart-healthy recipes that focus on lean proteins, high fiber and healthy fats.
- Roasted Chickpea Snack via skinnytaste.com
- Low-Fat Spice-Rubbed Cod via thespruceeats.com
- Avocado Salsa Chicken via thewholecook.com
- Chickpea and Red Pepper Soup with Quinoa via delish.com
What do you do (and make!) to make your heart stronger and healthier? Let us know on our Facebook page.
About Healthy Fats
Fats can be saturated or unsaturated.
- Saturated fats are usually found in animal products can increase cholesterol. Over time, these fats can raise LDL (“bad”) cholesterol levels.
- Unsaturated fats are either monounsaturated or polyunsaturated and are found in foods like fish, nuts, avocado and olive oil. These are heart-healthy fats that help lower LDL (“bad”) cholesterol levels.
Choosing these foods with unsaturated fats instead of foods with saturated fats can decrease risk of cardiovascular disease.