Cold or flu? Take time to learn the difference and how to protect and care for yourself.
With cold and flu season here, Dr. Alec Walker shares how to avoid getting sick.
Prevent the cold and flu with these tips:
- avoid those who are sick (if possible)
- wash your hands with soap and water (especially before eating and after being in public areas)
- get the flu shot (even if you do get the flu, it will lessen the severity and length)
If you get sick be sure to:
- stay home – you’re the most contagious in the first 1-2 days (when your symptoms are just starting)
- call your primary care provider – they want to know and may want to see you in the office
- visit one of our urgent cares, if you don’t have access to your primary care provider
- rest and drink plenty of fluids
- once you are fever-free for 24 hours you can return to normal activities, school or work
Looking for a primary care provider? Many of our doctors have online appointment scheduling and offer same-day or next-day appointments.